Friday, October 23, 2009

All a Twitter About My Book Report

I have just read one of the most helpful how-to guides ever. All a Twitter: A Personal and Professional Guide to Social Networking with Twitter by Tee Morris is exactly what the title states, a personal and professional guide to Twitter. Tee Morris is an experienced user of Twitter starting his own Twitter page in 2007 and hasn’t showed a sign of slowing down. Morris takes you on a well laid out and detailed journey through the world of Twitter, a social networking forum that allows people to express what they are doing at that very moment in 140 characters or less. Morris not only explains how to set up a Twitter account, but he also shows the reader the ins and outs of the network, from what Twitter is and what it isn’t, to how to create a successful account and build a great social network. He explains third party applications and how they make your Twitter experience that much more enjoyable and easy. Morris also shows how to use shortcuts on Twitter, like how to create hash tags and how to easily find friends on Twitter. Morris shows not only how to find friends, but also others who share your same interests and how to make great connections for professional reasons. I greatly enjoyed the layout of the book. The author wrote and arranged the book in logical order. First, he explained the background of Twitter; next he takes you through the steps of how to create an account. After creating your account, Morris shows how to use third party applications and how to take Twitter on the go, and implement it into your other social networking tools like Facebook and MySpace. In addition to all the ways that Twitter improves social networking, he also shares the downfalls of Twitter, like not being able to fully express yourself within 140 characters, but shares tips and advice how to get around the cons and use Twitter to its full potential.


This book is a must read for anyone who is interested in using Twitter. Like I stated in my first sentence, I have never read another book that went into so much detail about one topic. It’s quite ironic to think that like Twitter, this book gives out so much information with only using 268 pages. Anyone who initially picks up this book will be surprised how much they can learn from 268 pages. This book is also a great read for anyone who is just generally interested in social networking and the tools that are out there to use. People with no prior knowledge and people who have used Twitter for a whole year can read this book and learn an impressive amount of facts about Twitter.

When I first picked this book, I had heard of Twitter but I had never visited the webpage or ever used it as a social networking tool. After reading just the first 60 pages I felt I was more than capable of knowing what Twitter should and shouldn’t be used for, how to create an informative and original account and profile. I feel able to fully express myself within 140 characters and follow others who do the same. After finishing the first 100 pages, I had a great knowledge of third party applications and their pros and cons. After the whole book I now feel that I could write my own book about Twitter! I thoroughly enjoyed the book from beginning to end and gained a lot of knowledge on a very useful tool in the social networking universe. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to use or learn about Twitter.

1 comment:

  1. So what convinced you to not open a Twitter account and explore more that way? I tried to find you but you didn’t show up. Did Morris talk about the Facebook competition that Tweeter suffered after Facebook started emphasizing their short answer “What’s on your mind” lead at the top of everyone’s Wall? Were you enticed to listen to any of the author’s podcasts or read his blog on the same subject? This is a fairly recent book, just out this summer, and is available as a Safari ebook.

    ReplyDelete